Samstag, 17. November 2007

The Great Wall is great!



Next weekend, next sightseeiing.

Today's trip took me to the one of the Ming tombs (a tomb of a former Chinese emperor of Ming dynasty) in the mountains just outside Beijing.

It's amazing how near the mountains are considering the fact that Beijing is rather plain and good for easy cycling. And they also are not tiny little hills, but real mountains.

After the Ming tombs where the buildings are quite similar to the Forbidden City, we went to the Great Wall.

I think it's amazing how people such a long time ago were able to construct a wall as long as the Chinese wall, leading through mountain areas. The Great Wall is the only mankind build "architecture" that you can see from out of space, I read. I think I heard it also was voted as the first of the seven new wonders of the world.

I also read that Mao once said: "Somebody who never was on the great wall cannot be a heroe."


We saw a lot of sections of the wall, but only visited one section. We started climbing up some steep stairs following the wall up some mountain. The scenery and view were excellent. However, as this is in the mountains, the wind is even stronger than in Beijing - and it's a cold wind. So I was happy to have a cap and gloves with me. The wind sometimes was that strong that my cap nearly flew away.


On the pictures you can see the wall in the mountains and myself on the wall.

Keine Kommentare: