Sonntag, 14. September 2008

Moonstruck and mooncake poisoned on 中秋节 / Zhong Qiu Jie Festival



Today is a Chinese festival, the Mid Autum Festival. Once again it's pretty much a festival connected with special food, in this case so-called 'yue bing' s, mooncakes. Mooncakes are small sweet cakes in different variations and with different fillings. Favorite fillings are an egg yolk , green tea and nuts. Moon cakes are famous gifts around the festival day and I also received some, but well... just a try of each type convinced me that mooncakes are not going to be my favorite food. So when we went to my last big brunch in China today, I preferred other food options to mooncakes...
Apart from eating mooncakes, the festival is famous for visiting lantern shows and looking up in the sky at night to admire the full moon which supposedly is the 'fullest' full moon of the whole year.

Keine Kommentare: