Donnerstag, 28. August 2008

Raindrops are falling on my head - Yunnan nature





Dear readers of my blog :-), I split this trip into two parts: 'Raindrops are falling on my head - Yunnan nature' and 'More raindrops are falling on my head -Lijiang culture'.
When I arrived in Lijiang in Southern China, I had already a cold, my nose was running and I was coughing continuously. And what expected me there? Rain, rain, rain. I spent five days in and around Lijiang and every day it rained, except for the breaks in between. Luckily on those days I ventured the nature around Lijiang the weather was a little bit better (meaning it did not rain all day).
The nature around Lijiang (normal level is 1500-2000m above sea level) is manifold: rice paddies, mountains and ironically sunflowers everywhere. The earth is often of red colour like in the neighbouring countries (e.g. Birma). The highlights:

- Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (Yulong Xieshan). The Naxi minority (a minority in this area, see also the culture part) believes that their gods live there. From a nice meadow you sometimes can see the all year round snow-covered peak (when I was there it was hidden by clouds - yes, rain clouds of course). Until about 50 years ago, Naxi marriages were arranged when the children were two years old. When the children grew up, they used tof all in love with somebody, but seldomly with the person they were engaged with since young years on their parents' decision. That's why the harmless looking meadow used to be a mekka for youngsters in love committing suicide.

- Tiger Leaping Gorge (Hutiao Xia): Impressive! A 17 km long gorge, one of the deepest of the world. The continuous rain on the day before made the river rushing down even more impressive because more water was in it. Luckily, though, it didn't rain on the morning I was there - The days before it had been closed due to heavy rains and the implicit dangers at such a deep gorge. Legend has it that a Naxi hunter wanted to hunt. A tiger was leaping across the gorge, but for the hunter it didn't make sense to shoot him since the tiger was on the other side of the gorge where he could not have accessed his victim.

2 Kommentare:

Unknown hat gesagt…

Liked your blog and photos. Yes it has been rainy in Lijiang. Did you find the two vegetarian restaurants in the new town - one near the bus station and the other off 7 Star Street?
I have more info about Lijiang at www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/happysheep/shangri-la-la/tpod.html

Anonym hat gesagt…

hi, thanks! unfortunately I cannot write in your guestbook without applying for some sort of membership. found one vegetarian restaurant just around the corner from the Lijiang International Hotel (5 star) in the new town. excellent food, helpful staff and a nice family atmosphere. don't know the street though.
I also tried a vegetarian restaurant in Suhe, but this was not worth it - uncreative western style veggie food (veggie burger only with egg and cucumbers)...