Dienstag, 22. Juli 2008

The importance of numberplates



The main purpose of my trip to Germany was to look for a new job for the time after I return to Germany. The job interviews were mostly very positive and I shall of course inform you once it has been decided where I shall be from October onwards.

Apart from that I spent a good time thanks to many of you who I had the chance to meet again and chat with. The weather was not that much of a pleasure and reminded me much of the German saying:"April, April, der weiss nicht was er will.", just that it was not April, but July. I'm really happy to have escaped the German weather again. The first photo shows Nuremberg as an exception with good weather, the second a Frankonian piece of art, the weird 'Totholzgarten' (Dead Wood Garden).

Back in Beijiing I didn't recognize Beijing. It was an 'olympized' version of the Beijing I was used to live in. On the Airport Expressway only two lanes are for 'normal people' now, the third lane is reserved for the Olympics, probably for the sports people and organizers? And there were cameras every now and then. My taxi driver drove quietly and slowly without the usual horn and zigzag - take over - manoeuvres.

In work my colleagues confirmed what I had already read in the German newspapers: Cars with even and uneven numberplates take turns in being allowed to drive. However, clever Chinese who can afford two cars already know how to solve this challenge. A colleague of mine and her husband possess two cars. Both of them had even numberplate numbers. Last week the husband got himself a new numberplate with an uneven number. Thus every day one of their cars can be used. But most Chinese cannot afford two cars, so the roads were still astonishingly empty. Dream of olympisation???

Keine Kommentare: