Dienstag, 22. April 2008

Wuzhen, one of the Chinese 'little Venices'



Because I had to go on a business trip to Shanghai, I extended the trip in order to do some sightseeing in Shanghai, Wuzhen and Hangzhou.

My first destination was Wuzhen. Wuzhen is a very Chinese watertown, one of the six little watertowns in this region which are also referred to as 'little Venice'. A colleague-friend of mine had recommended me to go to Wuzhen instead of another more famous watertown because she said that "it is not that crowded". Well, I don't want to know how much more crowded the other watertowns must be! Tons of Chinese tourists were strolling through the town, but I still had the impression that the town is not a tourist scene only because many old people were living in the antique wooden houses by the water.

Well, water was another issue. It was raining cats and dogs on that day. Some new acquaintances I made in Wuzhen, two Chinese students, convinced me, however, that a watertown wouldn't be perfect without water coming from above as well and, as they put it, "the rain creates a very special atmosphere." Yepp, I couldn't express it better myself :-).

Keine Kommentare: