Sonntag, 3. Februar 2008

Working weekend - bu hao war!



After having worked overtime due to nice compliance topics on Friday, I had more than earned my Litschi Bacardi!
You might ask yourselve what I did this weekend. This time I am not going to tell you in detail because - WE WORKED! Yes, in the office. Yes, on the weekend.
Not because there was so much to do this weekend, but in order to "earn" some Chinese wide holiday. Next week we have one week off due to Chinese New Year. Two of these days are no real "days off", but they had to be exchanged with this Saturday and Sunday. That's why most companies in China worked this weekend!

The days before Chinese New Year are special days as well. Last week we happened to visit a dumpling restaurant (Teigtaschen) exactly on the day one week before Chinese New Year- a day when Chinese traditionally eat dumplings. Well, we didn't know this before, but my colleague told me only afterwards, so we wondered why it was that crowded and service that bad.

Tomorrow is another special day before Chinese new year. People eat wrapped pancake-like food with vegetable and meat filling then. Today for dinner two of my colleagues, my boss and me went to a vegetarian restaurant where we ate these filled with cucumber and beancurd made Beijing duck (kaoya).

Similar to our Christmas Chinese New Year is much about special food.
I shall tell you more about it soon. Next week the year of the rat starts. If you're interested in your horoscope in the year of the rat you can check German language homepage http://www.china-horoskop.com/


P.S.: Because I had many of you asking whether we have snow chaos in Beijing: no, nothing at all. No snow, around 3 degree celsius and nice weather so far.
I also attache a photo of the new olympic venue. They call it "Vogelnest" due to the architectural style. The second picture is new year's decoration including the rat.

Keine Kommentare: